Thursday, May 29, 2008

I WORK AT MICROSOFT!!



I'm a Microsoft Employee!!! YAY!!!

So today was almost just as exciting as yesterday. This morning, we woke up and had no costume for the "Super Hero gone wrong" themed scavenger hunt that was planned for the explorer inters, so my roommates and I dressed in all black and RAN through target in our heels 2o min before we had to be at work getting batman masks and capes. When we walked in though all the interns started taking pictures so I guess the costumes were a hit! We went on our scavenger hunt and my team came in second. We went to work after that and got our laptops and an awesome computer bag filled with office supplies and gift cards to starbucks, cheesecake factory (which my group is using this weekend), and to the microsoft cafeterias. Our laptops are thinkpads where the monitor can twist around and turn into a flat touch pad. Its pretty cool. I'm getting much better with windows. Today we organized our emails which are flooded with cool confidential stuff! We also installed Visual Studio which is the application we will be programming in. Tomorrow I will begin to format my laptop and get connected to the system and microsofts intranet. We are also going to start brainstorming ideas for our project as well as start learning c# which is the language we will be programming in. We get to attend an Exchange meeting that the entire Exchange department gets to attend, so I'll be in the same meeting room with all the big corporate guys!!! YAY!! I'm excited because the past few days have been a lot of getting set up and learning the rules and benefits and has just been crazy, overwhelming with info. Tomorrow I hope will be an actual day to start working. Its weird to walk around the building look into other peoples offices and actually see them coding, just like I would be in school. I'm getting a little nervous because I am the oldest in my group, and think I am supposed to be the leader in coding. They organized us into groups so that our skills complimented each other, and I think I am supposed to help the other in coding, which is something I have never been too confident in. Its nice though because everyone is so motivated, so we all intend on getting books and learning things together and helping each other out. Its so hard to believe that in 2 months I will have created an application that millions of people will be using every day! Its just so nice being around so many people that are so excited to be working at microsoft, and that are so excited for us interns to be there and are so willing to help. 

We also got to hear about more fun events that are coming up. One is a product fair with Steve Balmer, the CEO of microsoft, so thats pretty cool and maybe I can even meet him!! In the next few weeks, all the exchange interns are going to go to downtown Seattle and tour on a Duck bus, which is a bus for tourists that drives around and also floats on the water. It should be really fun, and to get there we are getting picked up in Hummer limos!! I'm soo excited! We also have a glass-blowing day planned, and we are getting a day off work at some point where all the interns will go out and instead of working, will participate in a philanthropy event! So there is lots of cool stuff coming! We also learned that another part of our summer will be job shadowing, so I will actually get to work around and learn from lots of real microsoft employes. Things just keep getting better, and i'm not sure if I ever want to leave!! The summer is going to go by WAY to fast, I already know! 



This was my scavenger hunt team!


We were batman gone female!

3 comments:

aleiva said...

Hey Mariah! I wish I walked into my room one day on Christmas and had that computer sitting on my desk! Seems to me you are having a really good time already! Have fun and be safe!

Aaron

buzzard49 said...

Mariah
I think the first thing to check for is an IP address. Then to handshake with the server Microsoft has a program to do this.
Hope this is right and helps.
Buzz

Unknown said...

Hi Mariah,

It sounds like you had an amazing internship experience! I interned last summer but I had the exact opposite experience. It was awful! You are so lucky to have learned to much from your experience.

I recently created a website called InternshipRatings.com. It is a resource for students to rate, research and compare internships in all industries across the United States. I would like to encourage you to rate your experience at Microsoft. I think it would be really helpful for many students looking to apply. Your rating can even be anonymous!!

I hope you get a chance to check it out!!
--Lauren